At Mauger Energy, Aabbots Energy and Plotts’ Energy, our family of technicians, installers and sales staff spend a good amount of time in the homes of the customers we serve throughout the Delaware and Lehigh Valleys. As the seasons change and temps turn chillier, we begin the seasons of home heating for those seeking escape from the cold during the long winter months. We urge everyone to make sure you are heating your home safely during this time. First, when it comes to your oil heat system, please be sure to have one of our professionals out to your home so we have an opportunity to ensure your system is running safely in advance of the season. As it pertains to other methods of home heating, be sure to follow simple safety rules:
- Have your chimney inspected and/or cleaned prior to seasonal use
- Do not leave an active fire unattended in your home’s fireplace
- Do not use space heaters near drapes, Christmas trees or other flammable items
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
- Never use an oven to heat your home
- Never leave space heaters unattended
Fire prevention is one thing. Fire safety is another. With the end of Daylight Savings time just around the corner, it is also a good time to check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure all have working batteries and test each unit in the home. Also, it is a good time to review your family’s fire escape plan and practice it it with all members of the family.
All of us at the Mauger & Co., Inc. Family of Companies want the safest home environment for all of our customers and urge you to reach out if you have any questions about how we can help ensure your family’s safety through our services.